School Psychology Awareness Week is nearly here! Once again, the Governor has provided an official proclamation, making this week official in the state of Washington. November 13–17, 2017 is a time set aside for us to celebrate our profession, and educate others about the great work that we do! As promised, we have planned a week of activities for you to engage in for School Psychology Awareness Week (SPAW).
Below is a description of these activities. We will post daily reminders with links to appropriate materials on the facebook page and group daily. Make sure you like our page and join the group so you have easy access to all this great stuff!
Gearing up prior to SPAW
Get the word out that School Psychology Awareness Week is coming
- Send in a letter to the editor about SPAW and the work that we do to the editor of your local newspaper, school newspaper, or school newsletter
- A sample letter to the editor is available here. You are welcome to customize this letter or submit this as it is written.
Monday, November 13, 2017
Get the word out that this is School Psychology Awareness Week!
- Change your facebook cover photo to the NASP SPAW Cover photo for the whole week!
- School Psychologists all over the country will be doing this with NASP, let’s be part of the movement!
- Change your facebook profile photo to show that you support NASP SPAW.
- Email a pdf of the NASP SPAW poster to your building or district staff with this letter introducing SPAW and highlighting the newly released SEL Benchmark Modules from OSPI
- Post the NASP SPAW poster on your facebook page
- Post the NASP SPAW poster on your twitter feed
- Post the NASP SPAW Poster in your building
Tuesday, November 14, 2017
Participate in the Gratitude Works Campaign with some of these ideas and resources!
- Work with staff and students to create Gratitude Journals or a Gratitude Tree
- Encourage entire staff to write thank you notes to each other
- Facilitate a classroom or grade level writing thank you notes to family, friends, teachers, etc.
- Make “Thankfulness” a school wide theme for the month of November and facilitate writing thank you cards during SPAW
- Give out student Power awards
- See the Gratitude Works Guide from NASP for more details
Wednesday, November 15, 2017
Contact your state and federal representatives
- Introduce yourself to your local legislators and tell them about the great work we do!
- The WSASP GPR committee has created a form letter for you to send to your state representatives in less than 5 minutes
- Click here to send 1 letter to all 3 state and all 3 federal representatives in just one click!
- Simply put in your address, sign your name, select all your representatives, state and federal, and hit send
Thursday, November 16, 2017
Keep the excitement going on social media
- Use these pre-written messages promoting the profession of School Psychology on your social media accounts, with the hash tag #SPAWPowerUp, #NASPAdvocates, and on twitter with @WSASP and @NASPonline
Friday, November 17, 2017
Express gratitude to your colleagues
As usual, we are excited to hear about your participation in these activities, as well as all the great things you do to celebrate SPAW. We encourage you to post stories, pictures or videos to the facebook page and group highlighting your celebrations!
If you are interested, information from SPAW 2016 is also available.